Thursday 30 August 2012

Dare To Believe In Yourself

It can be so hard to believe in yourself at times. When the world seems to be against you, and no one is your friend. When life looks so dark and it feels like nothing can be any worse, it's hard to have self belief. There can be reasons as to why one doesn't believe in oneself. Family, friends, teachers, peers, co-workers, strangers, they can all beat us down. They can tell us we are not good at anything, they can bring us down, they can be our enemies and steal our belief in not only ourselves but in the world and life. We, too, can be our own worst enemy. We have the power to believe what others say about ourselves or to prove them wrong. We have the power to be a self-fulfilling prophecy or not.

Demi Lovato, an American singer, song-writer, actress. A recovering self-harmer and bulimic, she is also recovering from Bi-Polar Disorder. Demi struggled in silence for many years, not only with her thoughts but with such intense feelings of being alone and numb. After going to rehab Demi has written many songs about her struggle and she is going from strength to strength. She is an inspiration to many and one of my heroes. Demi says:

"There were times I felt so anxious, almost like I was crawling out of my skin – that if I didn’t do something physical to match the way I felt inside, I would explode. I cut myself to take my mind off that. I just didn’t care what happened. I had no fear... I used to feel my most beautiful when I was on the red carpet or at events or something where I’m all dolled up...Now I feel like the moment when I feel most beautiful is when I’m able to hang out with a guy without my makeup on or lay on the beach with no makeup on and not even worrying about what my hair or what I look like before I fall asleep. When I’m confident enough to show myself without makeup on, that’s when I feel my most confident."1


Ultimately we have the power to recover. We can blame our family, friends, strangers, whoever, for our illnesses, but at the end of the day it is us who is to blame. We are the ones who have the power to speak good or bad over us. It is all down to us. It is all down to you. Do you believe in yourself? 






1, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2174674/Demi-Lovato-reveals-used-self-harm.html#ixzz253C1yEHM

No comments:

Post a Comment